Sunday, January 17, 2016

Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets (graphic novel) - Paul's REVIEW


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: 
Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets
Author: Kieron Gillen
Illustrators: Salvador Larroca, Adi Granov
Recent Release Date: January 5, 2016

Darth Vader, Vol. 1 REVIEW
Synopsis: Bounty Hunters on the attack--against the Empire! Vader has a new mission to do for the Empire. Unfortunately, it's completely at odds with his own mission. What's a Dark Lord to do? Plus: Who is Tagge's mysterious new agent?

COLLECTING: Darth Vader 7-12



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: Since this is the second volume of this ongoing comic series, I knew more of what to expect. But just as the first volume did, this volume started out in a very interesting place and then just meandered along with the story. I have definitely found that I like event miniseries more than just this continuing story. Hopefully that means I'll love Vader Down, which is a crossover event with the other ongoing series, Star Wars.


This volume begins with Darth Vader at the remains of the Lars homestead, where Luke grew up. I really enjoy how Marvel is taking characters and places from the movies that didn't interact and placing them together. 

Aphra is yet again a big part of this story. For part of this volume, she seemed more of a lead character than Vader. Her droids are coming into their own, paving their own path as not just evil clones of C-3PO and R2-D2. 

A new Imperial investigator is assigned to Vader, Thanoth. I enjoyed his Sherlockian deduction skills. A far better character than the twins and the robo-Mon Calamari, in my opinion.

I enjoyed this volume and will continue reading it. I want more big things to happen, but I can tell all these missions are leading up to some huge things. I give this volume a 4/5.


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment