Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Purity by Jackson Pearce - Ashley's Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Purity
Author: Jackson Pearce
Publication Date: April 21, 2012

Synopsis: A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.


Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.

Why?: I've really enjoyed Jackson's other books - especially her Fairy Tale Retellings - so I've had my eye on her first contemporary book for a while. I'm interested to see how she tackles love, loss, and sex without there being any magic or fantasy creatures. 


Expectations: I'm kind of expecting this book to be along the same lines as As You Wish, minus the magic and the genie and plus the loss. I'm expecting parts of this book to be sad and parts to be pretty humorous. I'm also expecting there to be a lot of growing up, both by Shelby and her father. I've got relatively high expectations for this book since I've read all of Jackson's other books (except Tsarina) and enjoyed them all.


Judging a book by its cover: I really like how simple this cover is. I like the way the lock is white (the standard color for purity) on a blue background, and I think it makes it stand out more. I also like that there's a heart on the locket. I'd be pretty likely to pick this book up off a shelf based on the cover alone!



--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment