Friday, June 27, 2014

City of Cruelty and Copper (Temperance Era #1) by Rhiannon Paille - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Goodreads

Title: City of Cruelty and Copper (Temperance Era #1)
Author: Rhiannon Paille
Publication Date: May 28, 2014

Synopsis: Nuclear warfare destroyed Earth, setting it off its axis. A group of survivors escaped to Antarctica, discovering a city under the permafrost. Fable Ketterling was thirteen when the bombs went off.


She was fifteen when she and her parents escaped.
She was fifteen when she found the fountain of youth.
She was fifteen when the fountain made her immortal.
She was the only one.

-------------------------------------------------------


Review: The premise behind this story is something that sounds so unique and has a lot of potential. Nuclear warfare destroying Earth, people living beneath the permafrost, a fountain of youth. All of those things should come together and make for one epic story that would be completely unforgettable. 

And for the most part, I think it accomplishes that. I couldn't read this book fast enough, and I had so many questions that I wanted answered. Some of them were answered, but most were not. Which is fine, because this is only the first book in the series and (hopefully) the next part will be out sooner rather than later! I have to know what happens to Fable next. 

The part that kind of threw this book off for me though was that the middle section was not from Fable's perspective. Instead, we're given a glimpse into what Temperance Day is like from the viewpoint of one of Fable's descendants. It was interesting, sure, but I'm not entirely convinced at this point that it was entirely necessary. Maybe if this was a full length book instead of a novella, and his character was developed a little bit more. I felt like it was an aside that only added a little bit of world-building and not much else. 

I also thought that this whole this book could have been novel length instead of novella length, and that it was just missing a lot of information about the world and the characters. Sure, I sympathized with Fable and felt all of her emotions as if they were my own, but I just wanted more. I think this would be a really good series to read once it's all completed, and I would recommend it to fans of YA sci-fi and dystopian stories. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out of the next installment! 3/5


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment