Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Crewel (Crewel World #1) by Gennifer Albin - Paul's REVIEW

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Crewel (Crewel World #1)
Author: Gennifer Albin
Year Published: 2013

My Pre Reading of CREWEL
Ashley's Review of CREWEL

Synopsis: Incapable. Awkward. Artless. 
That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen-year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: She wants to fail. 

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen to work the looms is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to manipulate the very fabric of reality. But if controlling what people eat, where they live, and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and used her hidden talent for a moment. Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her dad’s jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because tonight, they’ll come for her.

Review: This book was excellent! I think this is my favorite first book in a series that I have read this year. I don't know why it took me so long to read this. If you, too, are putting off reading this you should reconsider immediately! 


Albin creates such an interesting world. Adelice can manipulate reality. She can see the threads of time and matter that make up the world. There are a group of women that use their powers to make sure the world functions, but this isn't a modern/futuristic gender equal world. Women are oppressed, very similar to the 1950s ideal of a working woman. It is always interesting when authors try to make an ideal future, but it is even more interesting when they make a broken world to address real life nowadays issues. 

Like most amazing worldbuilders, Albin builds this amazing world that we are just starting to understand right before she completely flips it on end. Throughout this book I was questioning what the world really was. I had a few really far out there theories that didn't come true. The last book that I was so intrigued and confused in a good way, trying to figure the world out, was Incarnate by Jodi Meadows. 

Not only is the world amazing, the characters within it are as well. At times I thought the "love triangle" was a little forced, but it wasn't your traditional love triangle. Enora made me feel so many feels. If I hadn't been on the bridge of a boat with many manly men working, I think I would have been balling. I definitely teared up and that doesn't happen often to me with books. 

Overall, I LOVED this book! The imagery is beautiful. The world building is amazing. The characters have depth. I am so excited for the sequel and I hope it gets more hype when it is released. No one should be missing out on this book. I give it a very strong 5/5.

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment