Thursday, July 18, 2013

Justice (The Ferryman + The Flame #2) by Rhiannon Paille - Ashley's Review


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Justice
Author: Rhiannon Paille
Year Published: 2013

My Pre-reading

Synopsis: 
How far would you go to destroy yourself?


Krishani always knew he would have to go to the Lands of Men, but he never thought it would be like this. Enemies everywhere, an ancestor he can't respect, elders he can't trust, a curse he can't stop and friends he can't help but hate. Desperate to end the pain, he sets out on a quest to find the other Flames and face the enemy that took everything from him.


-------------------------

Review: I really want to like this series. It has the makings of a really good fantasy series, and the world building is really excellent. Every time I picked up this book, I was amazed by how complex Paille's world is because I often forgot that there are so many more lands than just the few that Krishani and his companions travel to. Although each Land isn't described completely in depth (the story would be so long if they were!), Paille gives just enough detail to make the reader feel like they are familiar with all of them. And I just think it's crazy how different all of them are - the amount of creativity and imagination required to come up with these lands is astonishing. So definitely props for that! 

This story is quite a bit more serious and more grimy than Surrender was. Although the elements of the love story are definitely there, this is more of a revenge story. Krishani is devastated, and his reason for continuing to live is just to avenge Kaliel. I really liked this this book was so much darker; I don't think I could have handled another love story, and I really enjoyed how this series did a complete 180 as far as themes and such. And I thought it was done well - Krishani's descent into the dark place he's in makes complete sense and isn't just something that comes out of the blue.

Although I like most of Paille's writing style, I did find myself confused at points throughout this book. It's a lot more stream of consciousness than I anticipated, and I found myself having to go back and read passages to figure out how we switched people or places or times. There was very little indication that we were no longer with Krishani on Terra, or that we were now several days in the future - or months in the past. I liked the flashbacks/dreams with Kaliel, but sometimes I felt like they were out of place or the transitions were very weak. So just be aware that this story isn't entirely linear and might not flow as easily as other YA fantasy books.

I thought the Vultures were really interesting, and I'm hoping we get to learn more about them in the next book. I also hope we get to learn more about some of the more minor characters (like the witches). Krishani was one of my least favorite characters in this book, but I just haven't really liked him from the beginning so I wasn't surprised that I still didn't like him. He's just not the hero type but I'm pretty sure that's the point, but I can't bring myself to like him. I think the Flames were my favorite characters, even if we don't know much about them yet. Especially Klavotesi. I didn't realize some of the Flames were male, and I thought that was really cool that they can basically be anyone. 

Overall, I think this series has a lot of potential. I enjoyed this book more than Surrender, but I still feel like I'm missing something. I will probably continue to read this series, since I've already invested the time to read the first two books and short stories,and I hope they continue to get better. I would recommend this book to anyone who read Surrender, even if you didn't like it - I think it's an important continuation to the story and might be more up your alley. If you haven't read Surrender, I think fans of YA Fantasy would like this series. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone very young though, since there are sexual situations and gory battles and such. I would rate this book a 3/5.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment