Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Foundation (Razorland #0.5) by Ann Aguirre - Ashley's Review

Goodreads | Tor.com

Title: Foundation
Author: Ann Aguirre
Year Published: 2012

My Enclave Review
My Endurance Review

Synopsis: In Ann Aguirre’s award-winning novel, Enclave, humans have taken refuge in colonies below ground. Here is the story of what drove them there, told through the eyes of a teen who would later have vast influence over the fate of many, and who gave his heart to the one person who needed him most.

-------------------------------------

Review: Since I finished Enclave, I've been curious as to whether we'll find out about the origin of the Freaks. And then, when I finished Endurance, I wanted to know who Robin was. And then I found this little story, which answered both questions! Well, at least in part. We also get a little bit of background on the world and helps make a broader picture of what Deuce, Fade, Slacker, and Tegan might be up against.

For some reason, I associate the name "Robin" with a female character (I'm blaming HIMYM for that), so it took me a few pages to realize that the narrator is actually male - which I should have known from the description. The only difference this makes is that Robin is gay; otherwise, his character could be totally gender neutral. I'm not entirely sure that that bit of information is necessary to the story, or that the little bit of romance that's included is necessary. I'm also not sure it was necessary to mention that he comes from a mixed family. All of those things seem trivial to me, but I guess it helps develop him as a character? I don't know.

I did enjoy the connection between Robin and the Wordkeeper, Robin's father and Bonesaw (though it isn't explicitly mentioned), and how the system of Hunters, Builders, and Breeders is formed. By the end of the story, I understand why it was so short but I still wish we had been given more. I still have so many questions about the disease and the Freaks and everything, but hopefully we'll get those answers later on.

I would recommend this story to anyone who has read at least Enclave and Endurance. I really liked how it tied up some loose ends and connected those stories, but I wish it was longer and answered a few more questions. A 3/5 on this one from me.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment