Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Elite (Selection #2) by Kiera Cass - Ashley's Review

My Pre-Reading 

Title:
The Elite

Author: Kiera Cass
Year Published: 2013

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Synopsis: The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.



Review: When I finished The Selection last year, I was left with so many questions and wanting so much more! I mean, America made it to the Elite, but did she even really want to be there (but come on, who WOULDN'T want to be with Maxon?)? Would she and Aspen be found out? What is Marlee's secret? Well, The Elite did not disappoint at all. More questions are raised, some questions are answered, and others are left for the final book in the series. 


There is still quite a bit of "The Bachelor" feel to this book - six girls vying for the heart of one man, but with the added bonus of becoming a princess. And although I can't stand the TV show, I'm actually a huge fan of this book. There's still those elements that I could do with out, but Cass does such a good job classing it up that I really can't complain. I really like that there's a country at war outside the castle, but everyone in the palace is so sheltered from it that attacks are a huge deal. I think that adds quite a bit more excitement and mystery to the whole thing.

Although I am still 100% Team Maxon (boo Team Aspen), there were some times when I think Maxon is being a total tool. That being said, I really think America needs to get a grip on herself. I mean, come on America. You're the one who still won't commit to the poor guy, you can't expect him to just give up on all of the other girls when he can't be sure you'll stay with him. Seriously, America. Figure it out. I feel like Maxon is totally justified in what he does - he does need to get to know all of the other girls, and all of them know he's "dating" all of them at the same time. I do like how both Maxon and America grow and mature in this book though, it feels very natural and their relationship feels very real (despite being part of a game show).

My only grip with this book was that I didn't think there was enough of the rebels. I mean, I know they're not the main story, and I'm hoping we see more of them in Book 3, but I'm so interested in what they're trying to do. I also feel like knowing more about them will help with the world-building, which wasn't really as prominent in this book. The history was included well again, I just wish there had been more of it. 

I don't want to give away too much, because I always think a book is better when there are no spoilers. But this book definitely made me feel all the feelings, and I cannot wait for The One! Is it 2014 yet? I would so recommend this to anyone who has read The Selection, and to anyone who wants to read something like "The Bachelor," only better because there are princes and princesses-to-be, and war, and all those fun things. 5/5! 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment