Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Oath of Servitude - Paul's Review



*I was provided an ebook copy from the author in exchange for a fair review*

Title: Oath of Servitude 
Author: C. E. Wilson
Year Published: 2012

Amazon | Goodreads

Synopsis: This is the story of Teague and Cailin, two teenagers who have been brought together by fate. Teague, a human, struggles to come to terms with the consequences of a recent accident that has destroyed the happy life that he had once enjoyed. Cailin, a pixi, is trying to stay true to herself while fighting against forces beyond her control that have exiled her from her home into this strange world of humans. She fears the darkness. He cannot escape it. But when the two of them are thrown together, they begin to discover the light inside of themselves.

Review: This was an enjoyable book. Wilson creates an interesting world inhabited by pixis, but I wanted more. I really felt that way about the whole novel. I wanted more. 

Cailin is a pixi forced to live with humans for a year. Teague is a teenage human recently blinded by a baseball injury. They find ways to help each other and get to know each other and themselves more.

I liked the way Teague was written as a character. He hides from the world using alcohol. His blindness is mirrored in The Darkness, which Cailin has avoided as a punishment. I like that he can't see that she is only a foot tall. 

Owen is Teague's father and he has unknown history with the pixis. I like the way Wilson hints at things throughout the novel, but in the end she leaves it all still hidden. 

There was no conclusion. As I read the end of this book, I was surprised when my kindle told me I was already at 98%. The story wasn't at a stopping point. I understand holding some back for a sequel, but there was no ending to this novel. I didn't feel closure in the least. 

Though the characters were fun, the world imaginative, and the conflicts engaging this was not a well written book. I believe an editor and a few more drafts would have really helped. I noticed many misspellings, grammar mistakes, awkward wording, and missing or added words. I give this book a 3/5 generously. I think the story pushed through the writing. I am looking forward to see where Wilson will go with this series. 

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment