Sunday, August 19, 2012

Paul's Flatland Review

Title: Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions
Author: Edwin A. Abbott
Year Published: 1884

This was another oldie I found on my bookshelf unread and then found out it is free on goodreads. I will definitely be taking advantage of the free classics on goodreads.

This book is highly conceptual and the first half is very slow, but it really makes you think. I enjoyed the breaks I had between reading this book in which I could contemplate how a 2 dimensional being would comprehend a third dimension or how I could possibly comprehend a fourth. 

The first half describes the two dimensional world in which the protagonist lives. The social structure is definitely dated. This novel is very sexist, but it may have been the norm at the time. 

The second half of the novel describes the square protagonist's adventure into the three dimensional world and his resulting evangelizing. This part was more enjoyable to read than the first. 

I give this novel a 3/5 because of the slow start and the dated vocabulary and structure. If you are a math nerd or like to think about crazy ideas, you will really enjoy this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment