Friday, July 27, 2012

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell Pre Reading

There's less than a week before August, so I am going to try and read this before I start my August pick, The Forsaken



Title: The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell
Author: Chris Colfer
Year Published: 2012

Synopsis: 
Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairytales.

The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about. 

But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought. 

Why?: I unfortunately must admit that I am a big fan of GLEE. Chris Colfer plays the fashionably out Kurt. He is a talented actor and singer. I am hoping he is a talented author. Also, this book incorporates fairytales and I am definitely a sucker for retellings or reimaginings of classic stories. 

Expectations: I am trying to keep my expectations low since this book is targeted at a younger audience than I usually read. I expect to see classic fairy tale characters in interesting settings. I am curious to see if it is at all similar to the Magic Tree House series in which a brother and sister used a book to travel to different time periods and places. 

Judging a book by its cover: I really like this cover. It has a classic element to it. If I saw this on a shelf not knowing it was written by Chris Colfer I would at least pick it up and read the synopsis. But, it does look very young. I have also peaked at the inside map and it makes me very excited to start this.



-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment