Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Paul's Will Grayson, Will Grayson Review

I wasn't expecting this book to be so gay. I loved it. Even though half of the characters were gay, the story doesn't revolve around them dealing with their gayness. They are shown as regular teens with regular teen problems.

All the characters had depth. Tiny was quite a character. He's a huge, as in large, flamer who writes his own musical about his life and is also the star of the football team.


The varying styles of writing between the authors did well with their alternating chapters from different Will Graysons' perspectives. I thought the lowercase fit well with that Will Grayson. I enjoyed the interview between the authors found in the back of the book.


The use of music and bands was done well. I found myself googling the songs and bands as well as trying to come up with the melody to Tiny's musical's songs.


After reading this I want to read more from both authors, as well as queer YA. I read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist a few years ago and liked that a lot.


I give this novel a 5/5.



-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment